U.S. Immigration laws and procedures are very complicated. Each immigration case is unique and the needs and approach to each case is different. It is often essential to have expert advice to assist throughout these procedures. Below is a list of some areas of Immigration law, most of which have subcategories:

    Obtain a visa, U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa categories: A. Foreign Government Official; B. Visitor; C. Alien in Transit; D. Crewmember; E. Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor; F. Student; G. International Organization Alien; H. Temporary Worker; I. Foreign Information Media Representative; J. Exchange Visitor; K. Fiance€) of U.S. Citizen; L. Intra-company Transferee; M. Student, Vocational; N. Parent of Certain Special Immigrants; O. Extraordinary Ability; P. Athlete or Entertainer; Q. Cultural Exchange Visitor; R. Alien in Religious Occupation; S. Alien Supplying Critical Information; T. Victims of a Severe Form of Trafficking in Persons; U. Victims of Certain Crimes; V. Spouse or Child of Legal Permanent Resident.

    A person who qualifies and is eligible to become a permanent resident may apply to obtain a green card without leaving the United States. This procedure is called “adjustment of status”. Generally, the law requires that the person entered the U.S. legally and has never violated his or her immigration status.  

    Generally, only lawful permanent residents may apply for naturalization. There are a few exceptions to this rule. We help people to successfully go through the U.S. citizenship process. U. S. citizens may sponsor their spouses, parents, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters for permanent residence in the U.S.

    Some may obtain U.S. citizenship at birth or while they are minors, through their U.S. citizen parents or grandparents. It is also possible to have your U.S. citizenship revoked. Others may be eligible to be a “dual” citizen, a citizen of more than one country. 

    When you attend a removal or deportation hearing before an Immigration Judge, make sure you are accompanied by a knowledgeable immigration attorney. Probably the worst scenario is to appear without an attorney.

    You are creating a record before the Immigration Judge. If you lose, you may need to appeal the Judge’s decision, so the record of proceedings will affect your appeal and possibly make it difficult to win the appeal.. The record of proceedings consists of the transcript of the hearing and the exhibits, including copies of any applications submitted on your behalf.

The Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) is located in Falls Church, Virginia. The BIA never sees nor hears from you. They only see the printed record, the decision of the Immigration Judge and the attorneys’ legal briefs. If the BIA rules against you, then your next recourse is to take your case to Federal Court. Federal Court must rely on the record of proceedings. You never get a chance to testify in court.


MICHAEL                      VERGIS

For over 20 years the preeminent Law Offices of Michael J Vergis have provided exemplary service to clients throughout Louisiana. Attorney Michael J Vergis has served as a Shreveport City Court Judge pro tem, made appearances on national and local television, and has been listed in SB Magazine’s “Top Attorneys” in Shreveport-Bossier. His creative approach to handling difficult cases and his dedication to resolving his clients’ legal issues, have made him a highly sought after attorney in City, State, and Federal courts.


The Law Offices of Michael Vergis  |    318-698-3724

1701 Old Minden Road, Suite 17A 

Bossier City, Louisiana 71111

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

© 2023 by Michael Vergis. Powered by