BOSSIER CITY CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY
Bossier City criminal defense attorney Michael J. Vergis is well-known within the legal community for his aggressive and highly successful representation of those accused of major felony charges as well as his history of winning at trial. Under his counsel, clients are guaranteed to receive personal attention and availability as they navigate the complexities of the Louisiana criminal justice system. With an excellent reputation among judges, prosecutors, and court personnel, you can rest assured knowing you’re in good hands when you have Michael on your side.
If you’ve been accused of a criminal offense in the Shreveport or Bossier City, LA area, obtain the help of Michael J. Vergis, Attorney at Law for unparalleled legal representation and defense. To schedule a free consultation, call 318-698-3724 today.
What is a Criminal Defense Attorney?
A criminal defense lawyer is a legal professional who represents individuals accused of criminal conduct. This means that they have a background in criminal law, whether at the state level, federal level, or both. Their job is to defend this person in criminal court and their legal rights while working to receive the best outcome possible for their client, whether that be an innocent verdict, a plea deal, the dropping or dismissal of the case, or a lighter sentence and reduction of charges.
What Does a Criminal Defense Attorney Do?
The job of a criminal defense attorney depends on where exactly the case falls on the legal spectrum, so to speak. This applies for both the type of crime (of which there are many) and the legal jurisdiction. Federal prosecutions get handled differently from criminal cases in state courts. Fortunately, Michael J. Vergis handles all Federal, State, and City cases. These include:
- Simple Possession
- Possession with Intent
- Drug Manufacturing
- Drug Distribution
- Drug Trafficking
- Obtaining by Fraud
CRIMES OF VIOLENCE
- 1st Degree Murder
- 2nd Degree Murder
- Attempted 1st and 2nd Degree Murder
- Armed Robbery
- Kidnapping, Assault and Battery
- Burglary, Theft, Home Invasion
- Domestic Violence
- DWI, DUS
- Multiple DWIs, Enhanced DWI
- Hit and Run, Negligent Injury
- Careless Operation, Speeding
- Fraud, Forgery
- Worthless Checks, Embezzlement
- Insurance Fraud
- Purse Snatching
- Identity Theft
- Misdemeanor and Felony Theft
- Rape, Sexual Battery, Molestation
- Statutory Rape (sexual conduct with a person below the legal age of consent)
- Prostitution, Solicitation of Prostitution
- Child Pornography
- Indecent Behavior, Obscenity, Voyeurism
- Failure to Register
- Louisiana laws allow a person to “expunge” or “clear” his or her record of arrests, criminal charges, or criminal convictions in certain limited situations.
PROBATION AND PAROLE VIOLATIONS
- Both probation and parole are programs that are designed to allow those with a criminal conviction to serve part or all of their sentences outside of prison and within their respective communities.
- Violations of either probation or parole can result in serious consequences and can even lead to the reinstatement of a prison sentence.
- In Louisiana, public intoxication falls under the umbrella of disturbing the peace, also known as disorderly conduct.
- After 30 days of having a suspended license for your first offense, you may be eligible to receive what is called a hardship license in Louisiana.
- A hardship license is only available under special circumstances and allows you to “maintain the necessities of life.”
- These necessities include driving to work, receiving medical care, going to school, or going to the grocery store.
Should I Hire a Criminal Defense Attorney?
If you’ve been accused of a crime, you should certainly hire a criminal defense attorney. It is vital to get professional legal advice as quickly as possible. This ensures the best possible outcome from the start. You need an aggressive defense and someone with a legal background who will work tirelessly to prove your innocence or lessen your charge.
The court will provide you with a public defender if you cannot afford a private attorney. These public defenders are reserved for those who can prove they do not have the financial means to pay for their own attorney. When it comes to a public defender vs a private attorney, you are dealing with someone who probably has several other cases outside of your own and most likely, much less experience in the courtroom. Hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney like Michael J. Vergis can help ensure your case is top priority and in the best hands.
What Should I Consider When Searching for a Good Criminal Defense Attorney?
There are a few things we recommend you pay attention to when conducting your own independent research for a Bossier City criminal defense lawyer. To begin, you want to make sure that the attorney has experience dealing with the practice area your case falls under. For example, if you’ve been accused of domestic abuse, you’re not going to look for someone who works exclusively as a Bossier personal injury lawyer. Rather, you’ll want to seek out criminal defense attorneys who have a long history of successfully defending those who have been accused or charged with domestic violence in Bossier City or Shreveport.
Another thing to look for when scouting out criminal defense attorneys in the Bossier City area is that they have a high degree of professional achievement. This can be determined by things like peer recognition and career accomplishments. Michael Vergis has received outstanding reviews from peer evaluations (5.0/5.0 on martindale.com), and his professional reputation in Northwest Louisiana makes him stand out among other criminal defense lawyers in the area. Some of his many professional achievements include:
- Serving as a Shreveport City Court Judge pro tem
- Appearing on national and local television
- Listed in SB Magazine’s “Top Attorneys” in Shreveport-Bossier
- Maintaining a “Very Good” standing on the rating service Avvo
- Excellent client and peer reviews across Google and several other legal service rating sites
In addition to all this, it is also important that you make sure the attorney you choose to defend you is in good standing with their respective state bar association. You can find Michael’s status description on the Louisiana State Bar Associations’ website here.
How Do You Win a Criminal Case?
No matter how accomplished and experienced the LA criminal defense lawyers in your area may be, there is no way to make certain that you will beat your criminal charges. Your outcome depends on a number of factors, including the law firm you choose, the jury selected, and the evidence that is presented against you.
Though there’s no surefire way to win a case, there are things you can do to set yourself up for the best possible outcome. One of these is to hire legal help that you can put your full trust in. By obtaining the legal services of a seasoned Bossier City criminal defense attorney like Michael J. Vergis, you can rest assured knowing you’ve put your case in the most capable and competent hands. Attorney Michael always has his clients’ best interest at the forefront of his mind and works incredibly hard to achieve the most favorable results in your case.
Depending on the criminal charge(s) brought against you, you may face serious penalties, including hefty fines, community service, and jail time, to name a few. Michael J. Vergis knows what it takes to avoid these penalties, whether through negotiating a plea bargain, reducing your charges, or working to obtain an innocent verdict. If you’re looking for an acclaimed law office in Bossier City, Louisiana, look no further than the law offices of Michael J. Vergis.
Criminal Defense Lawyer in Shreveport/Bossier City
Michael J. Vergis has been practicing law for over 23 years, representing clients on all criminal matters from DWIs to 1st degree murder cases to even large drug conspiracy cases in City, State, and Federal Courts. If you are facing criminal charges, having someone with extensive experience in legal issues similar to your own can be crucial to your future.
If you have been accused of a crime in Bossier City or Shreveport, LA (or the surrounding areas), speak with Attorney at Law Michael J. Vergis today. You can reach the top LA lawyers at our Bossier City office location by calling 318-698-3724 or sending us a message here.
In addition to being a prominent criminal defense attorney in Bossier City, Michael also handles cases involving personal injury law, civil rights violations, family law, and related practice areas. Whatever your legal issue, the law firm of Michael J. Vergis can help. Call today for a free consultation.