NORTH LOUISIANA OIL FIELD INJURY LAWYER
Oil Field Injury Lawyer Serving Bossier City, Shreveport, and the Surrounding Areas
While the oilfield industry provides opportunities for many families throughout the Shreveport-Bossier area, there are many risks related to this occupation. Even though this job is extremely dangerous and workers risk their lives, many oilfield industry workers don’t receive the compensation they deserve for their injuries following an accident.
Louisiana oilfield accident lawyers can seem like a dime a dozen in the Shreveport-Bossier area. Finding one that doesn’t treat you like another number can often be challenging. At The Law Office of Michael J. Vergis, our personal injury lawyers understand the significance of the oil and gas industry and the catastrophic injuries that can follow an accident.
Contact The Law Office of Michael J. Vergis to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Shreveport personal injury attorney by calling (318) 698-3724 today.
Risks Faced by Oil and Gas Industry Workers
The oil and gas industry is extremely dangerous and has many hazards that can lead to serious or even fatal injuries. Even though there are safety measures and procedures oil companies must adhere to, it doesn’t completely remove the risks related to the job. Oil and gas workers face a number of risks that are associated with their job, including:
- Vehicle accidents
- Defective equipment
- Being caught between collars and tongs
- Tools or debris falling from elevated areas
- Explosions and fires caused by well blowouts, combustible materials, and electrical equipment
- Hydrogen sulfide chemical exposure
- Falling from a ladder, boar, or monkey board
- Rig collapsing from overloading, faulty anchoring, or maintenance issues
Safety Concerns in the Oil and Gas Industry
Oilfield workers risk their lives every day on oil rigs. When the oil and gas industry is in the middle of a boom, they can overlook the proper safety precautions and only see dollar signs. This can lead to hiring inexperienced workers, overworking current oilfield workers, and more.
When an oil company fails to maintain the oil rig or pushes workers past their limits, it can lead to catastrophic injuries. The most common causes of oilfield accidents caused by poor safety measures are:
- Not providing proper safety gear
- Incorrectly storing hazardous chemicals
- Negilent or inexperienced coworkers
- Poorly constructing steps, frames, rails, and other safety equipment
- Not maintaining or inspecting machinery and equipment
- Not providing fire suppression equipment
The Importance of Safety Protocols and Training for Oil Field Workers
Oil and gas operators have specific safety protocols that they must follow to keep themselves and others safe while working on the oil rig. This means that companies should run regular drills to prepare workers in case of an emergency. All oil and gas workers should be adequately trained and be required to update their training certifications. When workers understand the dangers and risks associated with negligent actions, they can avoid causing an oilfield accident. All employees should also be given personal protective equipment (PPE) like helmets, protective clothing, and gloves.
In addition to ensuring that all oil and gas workers are properly trained, the company should also make sure the equipment is safe. Performing routine maintenance and inspections of rigs and equipment can protect employees and save money in the long run on replacements and repairs.
Common Oilfield Injuries
No matter how many safety precautions are in place for oil and gas workers, accidents can still happen. Oilfield accidents can often lead to catastrophic injuries that can affect a person for the rest of their life. The most common oilfield injuries are:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Loss of limbs
- Burn injuries
- Internal injuries and organ damage
- Lung damage
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
If your loved one was killed in an oilfield accident or sustained injuries that led to their death, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim. This type of personal injury case is slightly different as it awards family members damages like burial expenses, loss of benefits, and more. To learn more about filing a wrongful death lawsuit, contact a Shreveport wrongful death lawyer at The Law Office of Michael J. Vergis.
Proving Liability in Oil Field Injury Cases
Following an oilfield accident, it can be challenging to determine who is responsible. Several different entities can be held liable for damages. A personal injury lawsuit involving injured workers may be able to hold the following parties responsible for damages:
- Employer: The employer is often liable for damages from an oilfield accident. Since they’re responsible for ensuring safety measures are taken, they can face a lawsuit when an accident occurs due to failure to meet requirements. While this case is often handled with workers’ compensation insurance, victims can still file a lawsuit against their employer if gross negligence has occurred.
- Manufacturer: If the accident was caused by malfunctioning equipment, the manufacturer can be liable for damages. Manufacturers are responsible for providing safe equipment, but when they provide faulty equipment knowingly, they can cause serious injuries.
- Third-Party: A third party, like an inexperienced employee, can be held responsible for damages if their actions cause an accident.
Proving Negligence in an Oilfield Accident
After determining who is responsible for the accident, your Shreveport personal injury attorney must work to prove the four elements of negligence. The four elements are as follows:
- Duty of care: Employers owe their employees a duty of care. In the oil and gas industry, this can mean providing safety equipment, maintaining equipment and tools, and properly training employees.
- Breached duty of care: When an employer acts negligently, they have violated the duty of care they owe their employees. This can happen when they don’t offer safety equipment or training or fail to maintain and inspect equipment.
- Causation: Your personal injury lawyers will prove that the accident was caused due to their negligence and resulted in you suffering injuries.
- Damages: You suffered financial losses and to be compensated for your injuries.
Legal Representation for Oilfield Injury Claims
Injured workers who have been hurt on the job face a tough legal road ahead of them. Since multiple parties may be at fault for the accident, you need an experienced personal injury attorney representing you.
Following an oilfield accident, many workers don’t know their legal options and think they can only file a workers’ compensation claim for their injuries. However, if you’ve been injured in an oilfield accident, you may be able to pursue more compensation for damages depending on the circumstances of the accident. In addition to collecting workers’ comp benefits, oilfield accident lawyers may be able to sue the company or manufacturer that caused your injuries.
The Importance of Legal Counsel in Pursuing Compensation for Oilfield Accident Injuries
Oil and gas companies, along with their insurance companies, will often put up a fight when facing a personal injury lawsuit. Since many of these oil companies have the necessary funds, they have the top attorneys at their disposal. When you’re pursuing legal action following an oilfield accident, you want an attorney who won’t back down from the fight.
Attorney Michael J. Vergis has experience handling oil field accidents and other personal injury claims throughout Shreveport-Bossier. As a local resident, he understands the industry’s impact on the area and the importance of caring for oilfield workers who put their lives on the line daily.
When you choose The Law Office of Michael J. Vergis to handle your oilfield accident case, you can trust that your Shreveport-Bossier personal injury lawyer will do whatever it takes to recover maximum compensation for your injuries.
Choosing the Right Oil Field Injury Attorney
When researching Louisiana oilfield accident lawyers, you want to feel confident they will work diligently to seek compensation for your injuries. Attorney Michael J. Vergis has handled numerous personal injury and oilfield accident cases and understands what it takes to get the compensation his clients deserve. Your personal injury lawyer will work to recover the following damages for your injuries:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
Oilfield Injury Lawyer Serving Bossier City, Shreveport, and the Surrounding Areas
Oilfield workers who have been injured on the job can often suffer severe injuries that require extensive medical treatment. When an oilfield worker is injured, they may not be able to return to work during their recovery, which can put immense financial stress on them and their family.
If you’ve been injured in an oilfield accident, attorney Michael J. Vergis is here to help. Our law firm has represented countless oilfield workers and other Shreveport-Bossier residents with their personal injury or accident claims. We will aggressively pursue compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages so that you can focus on recovering from your accident.
The Law Office of Michael J. Vergis also handles cases involving child custody, child support, criminal defense cases, and more. To schedule a free consultation with attorney Michael J. Vergis, call (318) 698-3724 or reach out online today.