Auto Accident Attorney in Shreveport / Bossier
An automobile accident can change your entire life in a split second. Whether you’re in a small sedan or an 18-wheeler truck, all it takes is one moment of negligence before everything can change. There are many financial, physical, and emotional consequences that go hand in hand with auto accidents. You could be facing medical bills, costly repairs to your vehicle, missed time at work, and more. If your accident was caused by someone else’s negligent behavior, you have the right to hold them responsible for their actions.
Michael J. Vergis is a Shreveport/Bossier City based lawyer dedicated to helping injured clients all throughout Louisiana. The result of Michael’s sheer dedication and hard work can be seen in the quality representation he provides for each of his clients and the attention he gives each individual case. Contact Shreveport auto accident attorney Michael J. Vergis today to see how he can help you regain your financial security.
Types of Auto Accidents
An auto accident can refer to the crash or collision of any type of vehicle on the road. This may be cars, trucks, vans, commercial vehicles, motorcycles, ATVs, or anything of the like. Getting behind the wheel of any vehicle can be dangerous, as you can never totally account for another person’s actions. You may be an expert at driving, but all it takes is one wrong move from another driver and you may find yourself in the midst of a catastrophic accident.
In addition to the several types of automobiles that may be involved in an accident, there are numerous different types of accidents that can occur. There is no way to account for every accident scenario that could possibly take place. Here are the common types of auto accidents we see:
- Rear-ended collisions are the most common type of auto accidents, accounting for nearly 30 percent of all crashes.
- A rear-ended collision happens when one vehicle crashes into the back end of another vehicle.
- The majority of these crashes occur as a result of distracted driving.
- Rear-ended collisions can be as simple as a fender bender or severe enough to completely total both cars and leave the passengers with extensive injuries.
- T-bone collisions are one of the more dangerous types of crashes and can lead to devastating injuries.
- A T-bone accident occurs when the front end of one vehicle crashes directly into the side of another vehicle, essentially making a sort of “T” shape.
- These types of accidents generally occur when one driver fails to stop at a stoplight or stop sign or fails to yield the right of way to another vehicle.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that approximately 8,000 people are killed in the U.S. annually in T-bone collisions.
- A sideswipe collision occurs when two vehicles, often driving in the same direction and next to each other, come into contact with one another.
- These accidents can also occur when one vehicle crosses or merges lanes without first checking for other drivers.
- Head-on collisions are perhaps the most dangerous auto accidents of all. This is due to the significant amount of force inflicted upon both drivers.
- Many times, head-on collisions result in catastrophic, life-altering injuries or fatalities.
- These types of accidents are often caused by negligent driving behaviors such as texting, speeding, or drunk driving.
- SINGLE VEHICLE
- As the name states, single-vehicle collisions are accidents that only involve one vehicle.
- Some of the common reasons a single-vehicle accident might occur include:
- Driving while drunk
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Distracted driving
- Mechanical failures
- Poor weather conditions
- Running into an object
- Swerving off the road to avoid another vehicle, person, animal, or object
- Inadequate road signage or road conditions
Common Auto Accident Injuries
Just as there are numerous types of accidents that may occur, there are countless types of injuries one may sustain from a car accident. One of the most common types of injury is whiplash, which can occur even in the most seemingly minor accidents. This injury is especially common in rear-ended collisions. Symptoms include pain and stiffness in the neck, dizziness, and fatigue and can last for months or even years following an accident.
More serious accidents commonly result in broken bones. These injuries can occur immediately upon impact in a car accident and can leave the victim with one or several broken bones at once. Symptoms include severe pain, swelling, and bruising and can sometimes even puncture the skin, causing serious bleeding.
Even more serious are traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, result from a sudden jolt or blow to the head. A TBI affects the brain’s normal function, causing impairments to memory, movement, or emotional functioning.
These are only a few of the extensive list of injuries that may occur to the victim of a Shreveport car accident. If you or someone you love has experienced any type of injury due to the negligence of another driver, it’s important that you seek legal representation from an experienced Louisiana personal injury attorney immediately.
Common Reasons for Auto Accidents
Of the many car accidents that occur in Louisiana each year, it is true that some are caused by unavoidable factors, such as adverse weather conditions, for example. However, most are the result of the negligent actions of another driver.
Distracted driving is one example of these negligent actions. Distracted driving may refer to anything that takes an individual’s attention away from focusing on the road in front of them. Texting or general cell phone usage is normally the most common distraction among drivers today.
Driving while under the influence is also another unfortunately common reason that an automobile accident may occur. Drivers who drink or do drugs before getting behind the wheel pose a huge risk to themselves and others on the road. Because the behavior affects the driver’s attention, coordination, balance, perception, and brain functions, it is increasingly dangerous to operate a vehicle while in this state of mind. A DWI in Louisiana or anywhere often brings the risk of serious injuries or fatalities.
Reckless driving is another common attribution to auto accidents. Reckless driving entails a number of risky behaviors, including but not limited to speeding, tailgating, improper lane change, and failure to stop at a stoplight or stop sign. Individuals who drive recklessly and negligently like this increase the risk of an accident by decreasing their ability to react quickly enough to avoid one.
Call Shreveport Auto Accident Lawyer Michael J. Vergis Today
Being involved in a serious auto accident can be one of the most traumatic experiences you’ll ever have. Not only will your body likely suffer from the impact of the accident, but your mental and emotional state will, as well. You may need to focus on getting back on track with work or school while also taking care of yourself emotionally, mentally, and physically. Michael J. Vergis is here for you every step of the way, focusing on what matters most so you can get well and move forward with your life as quickly as possible.
Attorney at Law Michael J. Vergis will work to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible from your auto accident claim. He will gather evidence to determine liability and speak personally with doctors and other medical experts in order to accurately understand the total amount of losses and damages from your case. He will then take this evidence to the insurance company and demand a fair settlement. Should they refuse to put forth a fair settlement, he is prepared to go to trial to fight for you.
Michael J. Vergis only accepts cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning he won’t charge clients until they’ve successfully recovered financial compensation. If you’ve received auto accident injuries in the Shreveport or Bossier areas, call the office of Michael J. Vergis today at 318-698-3724 for a free consultation. Your financial future may depend on it!