BOSSIER CITY CONSTRUCTION ACCIDENT LAWYER
Construction sites are inherently dangerous places, meaning accidents can occur at any time. The injuries sustained can be life-changing for the victims. A construction injury can have a devastating impact on a victim’s ability to earn a living and enjoy life’s pleasures. Unfortunately, construction accidents are all too common in Bossier City, Louisiana, and victims often struggle to navigate the legal issues that arise after such an accident. This is where an experienced personal injury attorney can help.
Michael J. Vergis, a skilled Bossier City personal injury attorney, has years of experience helping victims of construction accidents recover the compensation they deserve. We understand the challenges that construction accident victims face, including mounting medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. With a track record of success in handling personal injury claims like these, our team at The Law Office of Michael J. Vergis can help injured victims navigate the legal system to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve.
If you’ve been injured in a construction accident, you may be able to recover compensation through a personal injury claim. Don’t hesitate to contact our Northwest Louisiana personal injury lawyers by calling (318) 698-3724 for a free consultation to discuss your legal options.
Types of Construction Accidents
Construction sites are notoriously hazardous environments, and there are many types of accidents that can occur. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the most common construction accidents that occur are falls, struck-by, caught-in/between, and electrocutions. Below, we’ll cover these as well as some of the other common types of accidents that construction workers face:
- Falls from heights, such as from scaffolding, ladders, or roofs
- Electrocutions from exposed wiring or faulty electrical equipment
- Struck-by accidents, where workers are hit by falling objects, machinery, or vehicles
- Caught-in or caught-between accidents, such as being trapped in machinery or between objects
- Crane accidents caused by operator error, improper use, mechanical failure, or lack of maintenance
- Fires and explosions caused by combustible materials or equipment malfunctions
- Trench or excavation collapses, which can bury workers alive
- Repetitive motion injuries, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis
- Heat stroke or other heat-related illnesses from working in hot, humid conditions
These are just a few examples of the many types of accidents that can occur on construction sites. It’s important for workers to take appropriate safety precautions and for employers to maintain a safe work environment to prevent these types of accidents from happening. However, when accidents do occur, it’s crucial for victims to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney to protect their rights and obtain the compensation they deserve.
Common Construction Site Injuries
Construction accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, ranging from minor to catastrophic. Some common types of construction injuries include:
- Broken bones: When a worker falls from a height or is struck by heavy machinery or equipment, broken bones are a common result. Broken bones can be painful and can take several weeks or months to heal.
- Chronic pain: Many construction workers experience chronic pain as a result of repetitive motions, heavy lifting, or prolonged periods of standing. Chronic pain can significantly impact a worker’s quality of life and ability to perform their job.
- Head injuries: Workers on construction sites are at risk of head injuries from falling objects, equipment malfunctions, or slip-and-fall accidents. Head injuries may range anywhere from mild concussions to traumatic brain injuries and can have lasting effects on a worker’s cognitive abilities and overall health.
- Back injuries: Lifting heavy objects or working in awkward positions can lead to back injuries, including herniated discs and strained muscles. Back injuries can be debilitating and may require surgery or physical therapy to recover.
- Burn Injuries: Welding, electrical work, and working with hot materials can all result in burns. Burn injuries can range from relatively mild to severe and can cause permanent scarring and disfigurement.
- Sprains and strains: Workers on construction sites may suffer from sprains or strains as a result of slips and falls, lifting heavy objects, or repetitive motions. These injuries can be painful and may require rest and physical therapy to recover.
Proper training and safety protocols can help prevent construction site injuries, and employers have a responsibility to provide their workers with the necessary training and equipment to perform their jobs safely.
Workers’ Compensation for Construction Site Injuries
In Louisiana, workers’ compensation insurance is mandatory for most employers, especially those in the construction industry. This insurance provides coverage for employees who suffer injuries or illnesses on the job, including those resulting from construction site accidents. Workers’ compensation benefits may include medical expenses, lost wages, and disability benefits.
Third-Party Liability Claims for Construction Site Injuries
In addition to workers’ compensation benefits, construction workers who are injured on the job may also be able to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against third-party companies or individuals whose negligence contributed to their injuries. This type of lawsuit is known as a third-party liability claim and may only be valid under certain circumstances.
Third-party liability claims may arise when a worker is injured due to the negligence of a non-employer, such as a subcontractor, equipment manufacturer, or property owner. For example, if a worker is injured because of faulty equipment, they may be able to bring a lawsuit against the equipment manufacturer or the company responsible for maintaining the equipment. Similarly, if a worker is injured because of unsafe conditions on a job site, they may be able to bring a premises liability lawsuit against the property owner or general contractor responsible for the site.
In personal injury lawsuits, the injured worker may be able to recover damages for both economic and non-economic losses, including lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering, lost enjoyment of life, and emotional distress. Non-economic damages can be difficult to quantify, but they may be significant, particularly in cases where the injured worker has suffered permanent disabilities or chronic pain as a result of the injury.
To successfully pursue a third-party liability claim, the injured worker must be able to prove that the third-party company or individual was negligent and that this negligence was responsible for their injuries. This can be a complex legal process, and it’s important for injured workers to consult with an experienced Bossier personal injury attorney to discuss their legal options.
Why You Need a Bossier City Construction Accident Lawyer to Help With Your Claim
Navigating legal issues related to construction accidents can be complex and overwhelming, which is why it’s important for injured workers to seek the help of a skilled Shreveport-Bossier City construction accident attorney like Michael J. Vergis. Attorney Vergis is well-versed in both personal injury law and related practice areas and can help injured workers determine which legal route is best for their situation. Whether the injured worker needs to file a workers’ compensation claim, pursue a third-party liability lawsuit, or both, our construction accident attorneys can guide them through the legal process and ensure their legal rights are protected.
Our construction accident attorneys in Bossier City, LA are familiar with the unique challenges that come with construction site injuries. We know how to investigate accidents, gather evidence, and build a strong case in court. Additionally, our attorneys are skilled negotiators who can work with insurance companies and opposing counsel to secure a fair settlement for our clients. By working with an experienced attorney from The Law Office of Michael J. Vergis, injured workers can focus on their recovery and leave the legal details to the professionals.
Call Michael J. Vergis Today for Help With Your Northwest Louisiana Construction Accident Claim
If you or a loved one has been involved in a construction accident leading to serious injuries or even death, it’s important that you hold the responsible parties legally accountable and receive fair compensation for all accident-related damages. Contact Shreveport/Bossier City attorney Michael J. Vergis today to discuss your legal issue during a free case evaluation. You can reach our law office by calling (318) 698-3724 or completing our online intake form.